By Dr. Hassan Elannani
What does the Quran say about God?
- Say: “He is the One God. God the Eternal, the Uncaused Cause of All Being. He begets not, and neither is He begotten; and there is nothing that could be compared with Him” (Chapter 112)
- It is not [befitting] for God to take a son; exalted is He! When He decrees an affair, He only says to it, “Be,” and it is. (Chapter 19, Verse 35)
- I am God. There is no deity except Me; so worship Me and establish prayer for My remembrance. (Chapter 20, Verse 14)
What does the Quran say about the Prophets?
- Say, [O believers], “We have believed in God and what has been revealed to us and what has been revealed to Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the Descendants and what was given to Moses and Jesus and what was given to the prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and we are Muslims. (Chapter 2, Verse 136)
- Muhammad is not but a messenger. Other messengers have passed on before him. (Chapter 3, Verse 144)
- We have not sent you, [O Muhammad], except as a mercy to the worlds. (Chapter 21, Verse 107)
- The Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, was but a messenger of God and His word which He directed to Mary, and a soul [created at a command] from Him. (Chapter 4, Verse 171)
What is the Quran’s Message?
- I [God] did not create the jinn and humankind except to worship Me. (Chapter 51, Verse 56)
- We will show them Our signs in the horizons and within themselves until it becomes clear to them that it is the truth. (Chapter 41, Verse 53)
- God enjoins the doing of justice and the doing of good (to others) and the giving to the kindred, and He forbids indecency and evil and rebellion; He admonishes you that you may be mindful. (Chapter 16, Verse 90)
How can you find happiness?
- God does not change what is in a people, until they change what is in themselves. (Chapter 13, Verse 11)
- If you are grateful, I [God] would certainly give to you more. (Chapter 14, Verse 7)
- The life of this world is nothing but a passing delight and a play – whereas the life in the hereafter is indeed the only [true] life: if they but knew this! (Chapter 29, Verse 64)
How can you get the most out of your Quran reading?
- And recite the Quran as it ought to be recited. (Chapter 73, Verse 4)
- This Qur’an guides to that which is most suitable and gives good tidings to the believers who do righteous deeds that they will have a great reward. (Chapter 17, Verse 9)
- O mankind, there has come to you a conclusive proof from your Lord, and We have sent down to you a clear light. (Chapter 4, Verse 174)
How close is God to you?
- We indeed created man; and We know what his soul whispers within him, and We are nearer to him than the jugular vein. (Chapter 50 [Qaf], Verse 16)
- And when My servants ask you concerning Me, then surely I am very near. (Chapter 2 [The Cow], Verse 186)
Does God want you to be close to Him?
- Bow down in adoration, and bring yourself the closer (to God). (Chapter 96 [The Clot], Verse 19)
- So turn to God. I give you a clear warning from Him. (Chapter 51 [The Winds], Verse 50)
Does God forgive all your sins?
- Say: O my servants who have acted extravagantly against their own souls, do not despair of the mercy of God; surely God forgives the faults altogether; surely He is the Forgiving the Merciful. (Chapter 39 [The Groups], Verse 53)
- Ask forgiveness of your Lord, surely He is the most Forgiving. (Chapter 72 [Noah], Verse 10)
How to serve God?
- Verily I am God; there is no god but I; therefore serve Me, and perform the prayer of My remembrance. (Chapter 20 [Taha], Verse 14)
- Therefore remember Me, I will remember you, and be thankful to Me, and do not be ungrateful to Me. (Chapter 2 [The Cow], Verse 152)
- Say to My servants who believe that they should keep up prayer and spend out of what We have given them secretly and openly. (Chapter 14 [Abraham], Verse 31)
- Establish prayer, give the poor-due, and obey the Messenger, so that you may receive mercy. (Chapter 24 [The Light], Verse 56)
What to ask God for?
- Show us the straight path, the path of those whom You had favored; not the path of those who earn Your anger nor of those who go astray. (Chapter 1 [The Opening], Verses 6-7)
- Our Lord! Grant us good in this world and good in the hereafter, and save us from the punishment of the fire. (Chapter 2 [The Cow], Verse 201)
- Our Lord, let not our hearts deviate after You have guided us and grant us from Yourself mercy. Indeed, You are the Grantor of bounties without measure. Chapter 3 [Al-Imran], Verse 8)